Feb 24, 2008

Two more ślokas from Hevajra Tantra

The sanskrit text:
yena yena hi badhyante jantavo raudrakarmaṇā |

sopāyena tu tenaiva mucyante bhavabandhanāt ||

rāgeṇa badhyate loko rāgeṇaiva vimucyate |
viparītabhāvanā hyeṣā na jñātā buddhatīrthakaiḥ ||
(he. ta. II.2.50-51)

yena
=I. sg. by which;
hi= certainly;
badhyante=ps.3. pl. are bound;
jantavaḥ=N. pl. living beings;
raudrakarmaṇā=I. sg. by terrible magic rite;
sopāyena=I. sg. by being accompanied;
tu=but;
tena=I.sg. by that;
eva=very;
muncyante=ps. 3. pl are freed;
bhavabandhanāt=Ab. sg. from the binding of existence;

rāgeṇa=I.sg. by passion;
badhyate=ps. 3. sg=is tied;
lokaḥ=the world;
rāgeṇa=I.sg. by passion;
eva=aug.;
vimucyate=ps. 3. sg is freed;
viparītabhāvanā=N.f.sg. reversed/inverted producing/causality;
hi=indeed;
eṣā=N.f.sg. that;
na=not;
jñātā=N.f.sg known;
buddhatīrthakaiḥ=I. pl. "tantraphobic" Buddhists.

Few notes here. I initially translated buddhatīrthaka by "non Buddhists" because I found in the dictionary "MW - an adherent or head of any other than one's own creed Buddh. Jain." as a meaning for tīrthika. I had some doubts from the very start but I had to translate it one way or the other. Now, thanks to Mr. Iain Sinclair who took some time to comment on this issue on his blog, I adopted the current translation.

The english translation:
50.
By terrible magical act by which certainly
the living beings are bound

accompanied by the that very [act]
they are freed from the binding of the existence.

51.
By passion the world is tied,
by passion also it is freed.

This inverted causality
is not known b
y "tantraphobic" Buddhists.

No comments: